An Icon of the Elements—made of Stone, set by the Water:
The Stone House. Shot on location in Carinthia, Austria
Architect Günther Domenig (1934—2012) shaped his childhood memories of angular rocks in Carinthia’s Mölltal valley and gentle hills on Lake Ossiach into his most important work—the Domenig Steinhaus.
With it, he left behind a key building in the Austrian architectural history that has attracted worldwide attention and is considered part of the Deconstructivist movement.
The stone house on Lake Ossiach near Klagenfurt was the architect’s personal home. Domenig planned, built and changed his key work over many years, creating his very own place of retreat, which also served as a testing ground for new ideas and details. The first sketches of the building made of concrete, glass and stainless steel date back to 1977. It was finally completed in 2008.
A precise architectural language inspired by landscape forms, such as mountain and rock formations, but also by the regional and archetypal architecture of the rural area. Which is now manifested in the building through the jagged polyhedra of steel, glass and concrete, spectacular pathways as well as geometric spatial structures.
Günther Domenig’s work will be celebrated with a series of exhibitions at four locations until October 16, 2022. Under the title DOMENIG DIMENSIONAL, exhibitions and guided tours will take place at the AHK, the Steinhaus and on the Heft in the municipality of Hüttenberg.
Günther Domenig is known for his very own architectural style. He blurs the boundaries between architecture, design and art. Born in 1934 in Klagenfurt, he studied architecture at the Technical University in Graz from 1953 to 1959, followed by a temporary stay in Vienna, before he went back to Graz to teach at the university as an architect. Among his first internationally recognized projects is the Z-Bank in Vienna, which shows a much more expressionistic and modernist aesthetic in his work, such as distorted forms, asymmetries and fragmented lines.
A whole series of exhibitions and events will now be dedicated to one of Austria’s most famous architects. The program is curated by the Viennese office section.a, which shows the comprehensive work of Günther Domenig.